Friday, September 19, 2008

Only 60 days to go?!?!?

How did that happen? Where has the time gone?? We're down to 2 months left, possibly even less, until we need to be ready for the baby. Wow!

Sorry I haven't blogged in such a long time. I have to admit, that dealing with being diabetic hasn't been easy. In fact, it has been downright tough. I'm finally getting a handle on what I can and can't eat - - unfortunately it's different for each woman with gestational diabetes. The way hormones are, you just can't control or predict how your body will react. Between my diet and insulin shots, I'm finally to a point where my blood sugar levels are where they should be - - it's been a lot of trial and error with me and my doctor. So I'm doing well now, but from what I have read, I should be prepared for some more fluctuations in the next few weeks caused by hormone shifts. Oh well, I'll just try to do my best, I guess.

My doctor thinks the baby looks great. She does have me coming into her office 2x a week for nonstress tests (NSTs). Basically what happens is I sit in a big recliner with two monitors on my belly. One is monitoring the baby's heart rate and the other is measuring contractions (of which I've been having none, thank goodness!) I am given a button to push every time the baby moves. They are looking for the baby's heart rate to increase for a certain amount of time each time it moves. So I sit there for anytime between 20 minutes to over an hour until they get the reaction they want out of the baby, at least 2 times. Unfortunately, several of my appointments have been at times when the baby is either sleeping or really, really chilled out - - that's why it sometimes takes an hour!

I have an ultrasound scheduled for next Thursday. They'll check the baby's growth again and make sure she's not getting too big. And then 4 weeks after that, we'll have another ultrasound at Riverside's Maternal Fetal Medicine office. At that point we'll have a better idea of when this baby might be born. My doctor said there is a chance they'll induce at 38 weeks instead of allowing me to go the full 40 weeks and the baby being too large.

Meanwhile, Dan and I have a tour of the hospital scheduled for 9/30. We've already seen the labor and delivery triage area and the rooms, but we haven't seen the operating rooms (in case of c-section) and we haven't been given the run down on how things work there. We're looking forward to it.

We haven't scheduled any birthing classes yet, and we may have missed the boat on that. From what I have heard, people are about 50/50 on whether or not the child birth classes are helpful or not.

Dan has started working on finding a pediatrician. We have a class/open house scheduled at a local office for the first week or two in October. So, we're moving right along in that area.

One big item left on the to-do list is preparing the nursery. We have a crib and a changing table over at my mom's house (thanks Mom!) that we need to move over to our place, but I still need to clear some furniture out of our spare bedroom to make way. My plan is to work on it this weekend - - but we'll see how that goes...

So - - for those of you who have been harassing me for an updated blog (you know who you are) - - is this good enough for you? I hope so! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how fast time really does go??? I bet you guys are getting excited!!! Glad things are going well too.