Friday, October 31, 2008
Friday, October 24, 2008
Drama at the doctor's office
Yesterday, at my regular Thursday NST (nonstress test) - - the baby decided to cause a little drama. Typically, the baby's heart rate is right around 150 with a couple of peaks in the 165-170 area (which is perfect). Well, this time, the baby's heart rate was holding steady in the high 170's and was not coming down. This went on for about an hour.
So, my doctor sent me straight to the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctors @ Riverside for them to take a look to see what might be causing this. Of course, I was freaking out, but held myself together the best that I could. My doctor tried to put me at ease, and said it was probably nothing and that by the time I got to the hospital, the heart rate would probably be back to normal. But worse case scenario, they would decide that the baby needed to be born that day.
I called Dan and told him to meet me at the hospital and I calmly made my way there. I beat him there by a couple of minutes and checked in at the reception desk. The receptionist pulls out my paperwork and I see the words "fetal tachycardia." Now, I've watched enough medical dramas on TV to recognize the word tachycardia - - so, once again, I tried my best to hold myself together. (And I think I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.)
Dan got there shortly thereafter and after about 10 minutes, they called me back to the office. First, I was given an ultrasound by the ultrasound tech. We got some more pictures (sorry I haven't scanned them yet) and they really focused on the heart and heart rate. Just as my doctor predicted, everything was back to normal. Baby's heart rate was back around 150.
Then the doctor came in, took a look at the ultrasound video then took a look around himself, and agreed that everything was fine. They have no idea what caused it.
Since this was the doctor we were scheduled to meet with the following Monday to discuss induction plans, we went ahead and had that appointment.
Based on the size of the baby (6 lbs. 8 oz.) at that time, the doctor decided we were OK to wait to induce until week 38 or 39. Good news: not a lot of fear at 38 or 39 weeks that the baby's lungs aren't developed. Bad news: I need to wait a couple more weeks!
The MFM doctor relayed this information onto my regular OB and she said we would discuss dates at my next appointment...
The MFM doctor also said that after the baby is born, they won't do any further monitoring of my blood sugar levels there. My doctor will do my normal follow-up at 6 weeks and she'll do a 2-hour glucose test then to see if I am indeed diabetic. (Which, as they've said before, they are fairly certain I am.) So, that's kind of good news. I'll get a 6 week vacation from diabetes! ;)
So, my doctor sent me straight to the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctors @ Riverside for them to take a look to see what might be causing this. Of course, I was freaking out, but held myself together the best that I could. My doctor tried to put me at ease, and said it was probably nothing and that by the time I got to the hospital, the heart rate would probably be back to normal. But worse case scenario, they would decide that the baby needed to be born that day.
I called Dan and told him to meet me at the hospital and I calmly made my way there. I beat him there by a couple of minutes and checked in at the reception desk. The receptionist pulls out my paperwork and I see the words "fetal tachycardia." Now, I've watched enough medical dramas on TV to recognize the word tachycardia - - so, once again, I tried my best to hold myself together. (And I think I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.)
Dan got there shortly thereafter and after about 10 minutes, they called me back to the office. First, I was given an ultrasound by the ultrasound tech. We got some more pictures (sorry I haven't scanned them yet) and they really focused on the heart and heart rate. Just as my doctor predicted, everything was back to normal. Baby's heart rate was back around 150.
Then the doctor came in, took a look at the ultrasound video then took a look around himself, and agreed that everything was fine. They have no idea what caused it.
Since this was the doctor we were scheduled to meet with the following Monday to discuss induction plans, we went ahead and had that appointment.
Based on the size of the baby (6 lbs. 8 oz.) at that time, the doctor decided we were OK to wait to induce until week 38 or 39. Good news: not a lot of fear at 38 or 39 weeks that the baby's lungs aren't developed. Bad news: I need to wait a couple more weeks!
The MFM doctor relayed this information onto my regular OB and she said we would discuss dates at my next appointment...
The MFM doctor also said that after the baby is born, they won't do any further monitoring of my blood sugar levels there. My doctor will do my normal follow-up at 6 weeks and she'll do a 2-hour glucose test then to see if I am indeed diabetic. (Which, as they've said before, they are fairly certain I am.) So, that's kind of good news. I'll get a 6 week vacation from diabetes! ;)
Friday, October 10, 2008
Baby Shower #2
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)